Sunday, August 13, 2017

Plein Air Painting of Historic Caddy's On The Beach at Low Tide, Treasure Island, Florida

The Essence of Sunset Beach Captured in a Plein Air Painting

Low Tide at Caddy's
8" x 10"
oil on canvasboard
By Jack Providenti

 Caddy's On The Beach is a popular landmark here on Sunset Beach. I have painted it more than once...different moods, different times of day. This plein- air painting was done early morning, just after daybreak at low tide.

Hot summer days in Florida seem to drive locals to the beaches, especially on weekends. Here early morning beachgoers set up even before the stacked lounge chairs are spread out. So I set up my easel and got to work before the sun became too intense. A little more than two hours later I was cooling off in the Gulf waters. Then I walked home and finished the painting in my studio.

Plein air painting demands that one works quickly and that is the power of it...to respond to the scene without overthinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment